large chickens and bantams together?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jackhowell990, Apr 24, 2011.

1. jackhowell990

jackhowell990 New Egg

Apr 24, 2011
    Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and i am going to get a selection of chickens. I was wondering if you could mix large chickens with bantams. I've got a large triangular pen in the large back garden and a ex- dog kennel with large nesting box on the side in another attached garden . I was thinking of letting the chickens spend there day in the triangular pen and at night lock them up in the large kennel. I have my heart set on 2 road island reds, but i would like 1 or 2 bantams to go with them. I have very large gardens which are fenced in so the chickens can roam around. Would this be ideal and would they all get along? I know they will probably have a little pecking to decide whos boss, but im prepared for that.

Regards Jack

2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    Yes, you can have bantams and standards together [​IMG] I have 2 banties in with some standards, actually 3, but the spangled hamburg is still bigger than my banties.

[​IMG]

3. mlward

mlward Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    Tuscarora, NY
    Welcome Jack. We have kept a mix successfully since last summer. We have 5 buff orps and a pair of buff brahma bantams. Only bullying I've noticed is that occasionally when I walk into the coop, if my little brahma hen is in the next box (as she frequently is), one of the orps will go over and peck at her to get her out of the nest box. And now, this spring we have added 8 juvenile gold-laced wyandottes. Still watching to see how that will all play out as it appears we may have a couple roos in that group. : )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by