Large comb on chick? what does it mean

Clemti

Hatching
Oct 23, 2016
My friend bought two Sicilian buttercup chicks about 5 weeks ago. They're both pullets for sure. One of them has a normal comb/ its the right size for a chick that age, but they other one has a huge comb. I mean huge. Almost the size of a full grown hen. I am 99.9% sure its not a rooster because the plumage of this breed is very different between male and female. Is there a problem with the chick or is it just genetics or something else? Unfortunately i don't have any pictures.

Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Of course I would think cockerel. But genetics plays a huge roll. Although, I would suspect those to be from the same lines and have the same genetics.
hu.gif
Definitely, all chickens are individuals... Maybe this one is just really proud of it's comb. Or maturing earlier? What is the age? It's possible, as chicks that the big combed one hasn't started getting its boy feathers yet. My combs and waddles are always visible before saddle and hackle feathers on the boys! Those feathers don't develop until a little later.

After looking at images of the breed....Guessing boy! All of the girls have small combs and waddles. With no pic, it's hard to say. But don't kid yourself. They boys combs get bigger and red. Female combs will stay small and pink.
smile.png

They're both only five weeks old. I don't think that even if he was a rooster that his comb would mature that early though. I guess i'll just have to wait and see. Thank you!

My roosters combs are always bright red about 5 weeks old. All of them, where the pullets stay a grayish pink. Bright red comb = rooster in my experience.

However, if it is just a larger comb - that can be poor genetics away from the standard for the breed. I just checked the pictures, and I am pretty sure that a large comb that early would indicate a rooster.

Mrs k

Last edited:
If they are the same breed, out of the same parents and one's comb is obviously bigger and redder than the other's, I would suspect a cockerel. I guess you'll find out sooner or later when it crows or starts laying.

If you can't have roosters, you should start looking for him a new home.
sad.png

He probably won't start crowing too early, especially if there are no other examples for him to follow. I am under the impression that Buttercups mature a little late. But cockerels almost always mature before the girls. And definitely by 6 weeks I can usually tell who the roos are. Pea combs are harder for me than straight. But those early big red combs have yet to tell a lie!

Even if you can't post pics, you can view lots of other pics, just google it and you can see the difference.
smile.png

Thank you so much. My friend can keep it if its a rooster because they're going to county fair.

Back
Top Bottom