Large coop fixer-upper - could use some advise.

MichelleP43

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2016
North Dakota
Hello all, We are cleaning up and fixing up a chicken coop on our farm. It has not housed chickens in over a decade. If anyone has advice or suggestions to share on setup that would be great. Kind of like what would you do with it, since you all have way more knowledge about chickens then I do. We are fixing it up now and getting chickens probably early spring. I'll post some pictures first then share what I know about it.

Ok so for details:

Exterior:
Roof we are adding tin right now

Siding- it was built 30-40 years ago with old barn wood and then covered with blue wood siding. Most of the blue wood siding has been removed by cows scratching up against it. We are either going to strip off the wood siding and paint it, or add new tin siding.

Insulation- it was insulated when built, all four walls and roof.

Windows- most will have to be replaced as they are broken, or in bad shape.

Electrical - it has been run when originally built. Pretty sure it isn't live anymore, didn't feel like being the test dummy.

Run- there is no run, and for now we plan to leave it that way. We will try free range and unless that becomes a problem we will leave it that way.

Interior:
Cement floors- need a real good cleaning, what should we cover the floor with?

Walls- need to good scrubbing and a fresh coat of paint.

Nesting boxes- seem to still be in good condition.

Roosts- there are none, this is one area that we are researching. I like the Poop shelf idea for now.

Feeders- we have some metal ones that still look good and usable.

Water- again have some older metal ones that still look in good condition. There is also a well in there but the handle is rusted closed so I don't know if it's any good.

Okay I think I covered a lot but probably left out some details. What would you do with this precious old building to make it a perfect chicken home? Thanks in advance for your opinions and suggestions.

As there are running with cattle you probably won't have any problems free roaming them during the day as long as they are locked up at night. And if you ever decide on a run DON'T use chicken wire- its useless. You look like you are in pretty good shape coop wise, just going to need roosts. I would leave the cement in and just bed heavily over it, especially if you use the aprons.

Beautiful! How many girls?

You may want to add a few windbreaks for the girls. Shrubs or maybe just short walls downwind on the south east side of the building. Gotta be something the cows won't push over.

Would be fun to clean that up for chickens. I'm envious.

Thinking about a small storage room in there? Maybe a small office for the head rooster?
smile.png

I love the building and as long as its weather resistant I really wouldn't change a thing. Open the windows or remove them and cover them with hardware cloth, add your roost and a poop board. Floors and walls I wouldn't change . Floors are going to get really dirty anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful!  How many girls?

You may want to add a few windbreaks for the girls.  Shrubs or maybe just short walls downwind on the south east side of the building.  Gotta be something the cows won't push over.

Would be fun to clean that up for chickens.  I'm envious.  

Thinking about a small storage room in there?  Maybe a small office for the head rooster?:)

Right now we are just planning on 10-20 hens. Not planning to get a rooster at this time. I know it will be a lot of space for 10-20 hens, but I will just be starting out and don't want to get in over my head too soon. That room of to the side is a good storage area for feed I think. The well is also in there, if we can get it working.

I love the building and as long as its weather resistant I really wouldn't change a thing. Open the windows or remove them and cover them with hardware cloth, add your roost and a poop board. Floors and walls I wouldn't change . Floors are going to get really dirty anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It gets awfully cold here -20 during winter so I think we're going to need windows. So you wouldn't bother painting? Good to know. :)

10 to 20 hens could easily multiply:) Chickens are fun and more chickens means... more fun!, eh?

Since the walls need work anyway, I would consider more ventilation. More light would be nice too.

If there is juice you could put a small electric heater in the pump room.

I would use the cheaper between straw and pine shavings. I prefer straw.

Back
Top Bottom