Large Coop With Breeding Pens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sherpagirl, Jun 15, 2010.

1. sherpagirl

sherpagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Does anyone have any plans for a large coop ( about 20 x 20) that would incorporate about 3 breeding pens? I can't seem to figure out a good layout with all the doors, nesting boxes, feeders, etc needed. I need some ideas.

Thanks,

Donna
    Central NY

2. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Depends on what size of bird your breeding pens are for. Standards? Banties? Do you want to have your hens hatch the eggs or will you be incubating? Will you have brooders? What kind of weather will you be delaing with? Lots of factors determine layout beyond size of the main building. Give us some details.

3. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Check out the coop pages. You'll get lots of ideas there.

4. sherpagirl

sherpagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I have standard size Barnevelders. I want to improve the breed so i need to be able to do some selective breeding. I doubt there will be much broodiness, so I will be incubating eggs. I would also want to use the breeding pens as brooder areas for chicks of different ages. We have a lot of horrible weather. Windy and cold, rainy too, lots of snow. There are a lot of plans out there but I can't find any with breeding pens. They will not be free ranging, so there will be fenced in areas all around the coop. For some reason i can't find plans like this, maybe I'm just not searching the right way?

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Some nice set up's I've seen for breeding pens:

Ilovefrizzles
    Katy
    Hinkjc
    KathyinMO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by