1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Large cream eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by warhorse, Dec 15, 2008.

1. warhorse

warhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Cibolo, TX
    Forgive me if this is a "stupid newbie question", but what breeds would lay a large cream colored egg? From what I have looked online, I was thinking Faverolle and Sussex?

2. warhorse

Jun 15, 2008
    Cibolo, TX
    bump?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Could be several. I have one Buff Orp hen who lays a cream colored egg, jumbo-sized. I had one hatchery RIR who laid a small to medium sized cream colored egg (yeah, she was a rebel!). I have one Barred Rock who lays a lighter egg than the others-I'd call it cream, though all the above breeds are known as brown egg layers. There are so many individual differences that it would be difficult to say exactly which breed is doing it.
    My Speckled Sussex lays a medium size cream colored egg. Hers never made it to large and she's over a year old now. Are you trying to determine which breed normally lays those or which one of yours is laying one like that? I dont think Faverolles lay large eggs, but they'd probably be considered cream colored.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  4. warhorse

Jun 15, 2008
    Cibolo, TX
    Thanks, I was looking for info on which breeds should lay cream colored eggs. I have several "brown egg layers" and "green egg layers" and some Marans, but I wanted to add some white and off-white/ cream colors to the nest. Thanks! [​IMG]

5. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
  6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:What a cool chart! Thanks for posting that. [​IMG]

7. warhorse

Jun 15, 2008
    Cibolo, TX
    Quote:Thanks, I had seen that already and was thinking Faverolle and Sussex should lay cream eggs, but I was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with them, or any other breed, as to rate of lay, size of egg, eggshell tint, etc.

8. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    I saw the title of the post and thought a Cadbury chicken?? [​IMG]

Sorry I couldn't help it. I shouldn't be typing at 5:45 am and before going to work. [​IMG]

jeremy

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I have a golden sexlink that lays a huge, tubular dinosaur egg of a pretty cream color.

10. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    My sumatra girls lay cream colored eggs. They're listed as white egg layers, but it's more of a cream or off white. Definately not white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by