large crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by potter, Jan 28, 2008.

1. potter

potter New Egg

Jun 5, 2007
    I have a new hampshire red with a bulging crop. I looked for some help last night on this forum. the info that I got was to inject some mineral oil into the crop, then to massage the area. My questions are, how much oil should I inject, and how do I massage it? Do I massage the contents up and out of the crop or just try to mix the oil around? I have taken away the feed from her. I have seen her drinking water, does water go to the crop, or does it bypass it? I'd appreciate any feedback I can get.

2. Chickemee

Chickemee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2007
    Texas
    Sorry I won't be much help but I think you did the right thing by taking the food away.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Withhold feed overnight, if it does not go away, it is mostlikly impacted. Massaging with oil just to spread it, and not to push it up and out. Hope it passes. Good luck.

4. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Tomato juice is good also, the acid really gets things moving,,And yes the water goes directly into the crop

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  5. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    has the crop been bulging for more then 24 hours?

be careful when injecting the oil into the crop...a crop tube is better..
    you have to get the syringe way at the back of the throat, avoiding and pass the little hole at the back of the tongue.
    massage well trying to break up the bulge.
    if this does not work..she may need surgery.

is she having droppings?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by