Large Cuckoo Orpington Dead suddenly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sixbabychicks14, Nov 17, 2014.

1. sixbabychicks14

sixbabychicks14 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2014
    We had a large Orpington that was running around playing yesterday and was found dead this morning in the coop. She was just sitting there still warm but dead. My husband goes out in the early mornings and said she had something clear running out her mouth. She was fine yesterday and last night so we are stunned and worried not knowing what is going on. Could anyone give any thoughts on what could have happened to her? No wounds, or evidence she was attacked or anything. Will they die from a sour crop that fast if it was that? Thanks in advance.

2. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    No real help from me, other than I have had that happen too. A seemingly normal hen just drop dead. :(

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss... Sour crop is very unlikely to kill them, but it's very common to find them dead with water and/or food in their crops because when the dying process starts, they stop processing the food in their system. What state do you live in?

-Kathy

4. sixbabychicks14

Mar 22, 2014
    We live in Louisiana. I didn't think about maybe she still had something in her crop. She was so pretty and large! I will miss her, but it worries me on what really happened to her. It's been really cold here in Louisiana for the past week and raining last night but we have heat in the coop and Orpington's are supposed to be cold hardy birds. I can't think of anything but maybe a heart failure. Just don't know.

5. sixbabychicks14

Mar 22, 2014
    I know, makes you feel helpless. And worry about the other birds.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You could ship her to LSU for a necropsy or try one yourself.
    Louisiana Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory
    Louisiana Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory LSU
    River Road Room 1043
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70803
    Phone: 225-578-9777 Fax 225-578-9784
    http://www1.vetmed.lsu.edu/laddl/index.html

Many states do them for free, so it's worth looking into.

-Kathy

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  8. CajunPeeps

CajunPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2014
    White Castle, LA
    I am in Louisiana too. I found a 12 week old brahma dead yesterday. No signs before.

9. sixbabychicks14

Mar 22, 2014
    I'm sorry to hear that. It's sad that they will just drop dead like that. I was looking forward to breeding this Orpington because she was so beautiful and large. She was a funny soul, watching her run was hilarious and it lifted my spirits to watch her play. I really hate it. You just never seem to know if they'll be around or not tomorrow! Don't like that feeling at all!

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Most don't just drop dead, which is why having a necropsy done is important. What if worms caused their death?

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by