Large dark blood areas in stool

tageorge3

Hatching
Jul 31, 2021
I have 8 Marans who are beginning to lay for the first time- just began this past week. I’ve found 3 whole eggs, 2 thin shelled eggs that collapsed, and 3 stools that have large amounts of dark blood in them. All of this in the nesting/roosting area. Is the blood normal for first time layers? I’ve checked vents and chickens for injury and nothing. No one is pecking at the others. Everyone is perky and eating and drinking.

Sometimes a blood vessel can burst during laying which can cause some blood, but it's usually not a lot. There may be a smear on the egg shell, or a bit on nesting material. If you see bloody droppings again, a picture might help. I would definitely keep an eye on them, make sure no one starts to look off at all. New layers can have glitches while their bodies figure things out, so some of those things may work themselves out with a bit of time. If you continue to have thin shelled eggs, then I would try to identify which birds are doing that, they may need more calcium if it continues. Look at what you are feeding, too many treats can be a problem, too many of some kinds of greens can interfere with calcium absorption. Make sure you have oyster shell available in a separate feeder all the time. Needs can vary bird to bird and season to season, some birds need more than others, and having it available lets those that need it take what they need.

Sometimes a blood vessel can burst during laying which can cause some blood, but it's usually not a lot. There may be a smear on the egg shell, or a bit on nesting material. If you see bloody droppings again, a picture might help. I would definitely keep an eye on them, make sure no one starts to look off at all. New layers can have glitches while their bodies figure things out, so some of those things may work themselves out with a bit of time. If you continue to have thin shelled eggs, then I would try to identify which birds are doing that, they may need more calcium if it continues. Look at what you are feeding, too many treats can be a problem, too many of some kinds of greens can interfere with calcium absorption. Make sure you have oyster shell available in a separate feeder all the time. Needs can vary bird to bird and season to season, some birds need more than others, and having it available lets those that need it take what they need.
those that need it take what they need.
Thank you for that reply! I am changing their straw today and will place a dish of oyster shell in the run for them. And will post a photo if I see that blood again.
Thanks again! I hope it’s developmental and nothing serious!

Back
Top Bottom