1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Large eggs when?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WindyOaksYokes, Nov 18, 2007.

1. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I have a few breeds that should be laying large eggs. But right now I am only getting them to weigh out medium, only a couple are large.... anyways, they starting laying in August/September... How long does it take for them to regulate and lay large eggs continously??? The breeds I have are BO's, Light Brahmas, Barred Rocks, RIR's, and Partridge Rocks.

Thanks for any inputs... Tes

2. spottedtail

spottedtail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Minnesota
    They're still too young to consistantly lay Large eggs. They should get bigger in the next few months.
    Except for the Part Rocks, you have breeds that will eventually lay Large.

Last year I had Barred Rocks, which layed alot of eggs but didn't really lay Large eggs steadily until January.
    This year its New Hamps. They aren't laying as many, but egg size is increasing more rapidly than the Barred Rocks.
    Our White Wyandottes of 05-06 were inferior to both the Rocks and the Hamps as far as egg numbers and size.

spot

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Keep in mind that pullets lay smaller eggs. Pullets become hens after they are one year old, and then lay larger eggs. My Light Brahmas lay x-large and jumbo, however my flock is 18 to 36 months old. Good Luck.

bigzio

4. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Thank you both for the infomation! I was not sure when they reached maturity. Light Brahmas huh... I have a 3 of those. So if I want the Jumbo/Extra Large eggs, it would be a good idea for me to order a few more of those? We are trying to get our order straight for the spring. DH wants and customers too.... they want large Jumbo eggs. Still trying to figure out the best ones for this.

Whats this about Part Rocks???? Can you please educate me??? I thought they were like Barred Rocks and were told they layed large eggs... did I miss something????
    Thanks again.... Tes

5. spottedtail

spottedtail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Minnesota
    I've never raised Partridge Rocks myself, but know several who have. They were kept for their good looks, not their egg laying ability. The eggs were smaller (probably medium size on average) and there weren't as many laid. The best Rocks for eggs are the Barred and Whites.

Have you considered the sex-link breeds? They don't have the "looks", but they certainly make up for it with alot of big brown eggs.

spot

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I read that they should regulate their egg size by 30 weeks. Also, that they get bigger after their first molt.

7. LindaN

LindaN Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2007
    Chicago
    My 3 Red X Links are excellent layers. They've been giving me an average of 1 egg a day each since they started laying in September. I say average because there have been a few days where I will get only 2 eggs, but usually it's explained by: 1) a soft egg that isn't really edible was laid by one of them, or 2) I get 4 eggs the next day.

The reduced light hasn't slowed them down at all, so far.

The eggs are typically large, although they are still fairly young layers and egg size varies occasionally. I have one that will lay a large double-yolker every couple weeks.

Their plumage isn't incredible striking, but they are still attractive birds. Most of my neighbors and friends say they're very pretty!

8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    One of my red sex-links started laying at 18 weeks. She's laying everyday but the eggs are still really small, less than 1.5 oz. I think that's because she started early and she was still on chick crumbles when she started. I'm waiting for big eggs too. [​IMG]

9. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    My eggs are not all that big either and I am wondering the same thing. I have quite a few red sex links that I got in the spring as chicks and the eggs are still of meduim size. But one of them is laying beautiful dark brown ones. Even my Barred Rocks and White Rocks eggs are not that big and they are older than the sex links. I want the jumbo's too!

10. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by