large electric fence, small area - how can I temporarily decrease run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by woodlumn, Jul 19, 2010.

1. woodlumn

woodlumn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2009
    Virginia
    Hello fellow bird keepers,

Currently, my hens' run is a 60' x 30' area surrounded by movable electric poultry netting. In a couple of months, I'd like to move the birds into a 30' x 10' section of the garden and intend to keep them there through the fall and into the winter.

I don't want to cut the netting. Is it possible to double the netting back on itself? Or should I buy a spool of electric rope for their new area? The fence's primary objective has always been predator control (dogs, mostly). Though I'm sure the netting has helped keep the birds in, too.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Is it possible to double the netting back on itself?

If all the wiring in the net is "hot" then it can be done.
    If there are alternating hot and ground wires, it would probably short itself out

Or should I buy a spool of electric rope for their new area?

I doubt that would keep them in, since my birds will walk right through a 7 wire 8000 volt fence to get into the pasture​

3. woodlumn

Aug 3, 2009
    Virginia
    yup, all the wiring is hot.

thanks for the info!

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Set it up so that the "leftover" fencing is set up in such a way that it will not ground out (fold then roll then hang from a tree branch <g> or anything else that comes to mind).

Or, double it back on itself, but I believe it would be best not to have it touching itself if that can be avoided. (Like, a double fenceline with a couple feet in between, or some such thing). Continue to make sure the whole thing remains weed-free and doesnt' sag onto the ground of course.

I would not trust electric rope to keep dogs out unless there are *lots* of it and dogs are not very motivated anyhow.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    If you are concerned about the fence touching itself, you could take a 4' long piece of 1 1/2" PVC pipe and stand it next to the last post. Bring the excess fencing back around it to trap it in place. Wires don't touch.

6. woodlumn

Aug 3, 2009
    Virginia
    Thanks Pat and Opa, two good suggestions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by