Large Fluid Sac on Chest

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tomhabermann, Aug 16, 2011.

1. tomhabermann

tomhabermann New Egg

Aug 16, 2011
    Looking for advice.

My three month old Blue Wyandotte rooster has a large, symmetrical sac of fluid on his chest. It must be 2-3 inches across and sticks out an inch. He doesn’t appear to be in any pain and it isn’t slowing him down, but when he walks it wobbles back and forth.

I’m hesitant to pop it. He is destined for the freezer, but I’m hesitant to do anything there until I have some idea on what it is.

Any ideas?

Thanks – Tom

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Is it on the right side, between the breast and neck? If so, it is probably the crop. Where chickens store food. Perfectly normal.

Imp

ETA- Welcome to BYC

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  3. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    can you take a pic? Are you sure it isnt his crop just being full?

4. tomhabermann

tomhabermann New Egg

Aug 16, 2011
    Thanks for the warm welcome - this place seems amazing, especially for the internet.

I was thinking it might be the crop being full too, but it has been there several days, isn't getting smaller, and is very soft to the touch. I'll take a picture this evening, but I should put a bra on him as at this point Dolly Pardon would be jealous.

5. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:lol geez!!!

Does his mouth smell? He may have an blocked/sour crop too.

6. cochinGurl

cochinGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    bellingham
    its prolly just the crop. were food goes to be stored. i would be very worried if he DIDN'T have one!!! btw, [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I agree, sounds like sour crop (which is not the same as impacted crop).

8. tomhabermann

tomhabermann New Egg

Aug 16, 2011
    With a lot of luck, the images should be below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've been reading about sour crop and went through a puking routine last night. I got a lot of stuff out, but after an hour we both had had enough and the sac was smaller. The bad news is today it is back to being bigger than ever. The odd things are: 1. The buldges are symetical on both sides and 2. It didn't smell that bad and 3. I didn't feel anything hard and 4. he certainly hasn't lost his appetite.

I also have secret hopes that he is a she and am not ready to say goodbye until crowing makes it undeniable.

So, my next plan of action should be to separate him from the rest, feed only water and yogurt, go through another round of puking this evening, and talk to a vet about order nystatin?

9. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    looks like a hen to me.

not sure about the crop

10. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

If i remember right, Olive Oil or even Veggie Oil down the throat can help with Sour Crop.

Looks like a Hen to me too! One of my blue girls has a sadly tail just like yours, lol.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by