Large Fowl Cochin Genetics/Coloring

LarissaSlates98

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 23, 2012
I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this. But I am raising Large Fowl Cochins and I am new to this.
I am trying to find out the color possibilities.
So I have: 1 Blue Splash Hen, 2 Blue Hens, and 1 Buff Hen. My rooster is a combination color, I think he would be conciderd some form of a calico. I will attach a picture of him, but he has mottled,barred,lacing,and buff on his wings. I know this makes predicting the color outcomes had with any color of hen I breed him to.
I plan to get a different rooster. Maybe I should just list the colors I would like to breed for and see if any are possible with a certain color rooster bred to nay of my hens. I hope this is not to confusing. The chicken color things have confused me.
Anyways... I would like to breed for the following colors: Blue, Mottled Black, Buff Splash (Is this possible?), Barred, Laced (Golden or Silver), and Black.
If you know of a color of rooster that when bred to one or any of the colors of hens I have that would produce any of these colors please tell me. I apologize for the babbling. Thanks SOOOOO much.

Do not use him for breeding. His genetics will produce hybrids that will not fall into any variety class. You may want to find a good black male and produce blacks, blues and splash birds. Find a red or a buff to mate with the buff hen.

Tim

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this. But I am raising Large Fowl Cochins and I am new to this.
I am trying to find out the color possibilities.
So I have: 1 Blue Splash Hen, 2 Blue Hens, and 1 Buff Hen. My rooster is a combination color, I think he would be conciderd some form of a calico. I will attach a picture of him, but he has mottled,barred,lacing,and buff on his wings. I know this makes predicting the color outcomes had with any color of hen I breed him to.
I plan to get a different rooster. Maybe I should just list the colors I would like to breed for and see if any are possible with a certain color rooster bred to nay of my hens. I hope this is not to confusing. The chicken color things have confused me.
Anyways... I would like to breed for the following colors: Blue, Mottled Black, Buff Splash (Is this possible?), Barred, Laced (Golden or Silver), and Black.
If you know of a color of rooster that when bred to one or any of the colors of hens I have that would produce any of these colors please tell me. I apologize for the babbling. Thanks SOOOOO much.

Alright. So he basically isn't good for any breeding or showing? Does his color even have a name? I was told he was full blood. But do you think he is? I was also told he was supposed to be mottled, which he clearly isn't/

Colour is the least of his problems. His type is so poor it's a stretch to even call him a Cochin. You say tou're raising Large Fowl Cochins but you skipped a critical first step. You need to learn the breed before you start buying stock.

I do know much about the Cochins. I am youth. He was also given to me. What is poor about his type? He has very nice loose feathering and his legs are very well featherd.

Is it his shape? Or what?
Yes, that's what type means. If you want to breed anything, chickens, ducks, dogs, horses or whatever the first thing you need to do is study & learn the breeds characteristics of wharever you're interested in breeding. For a poultry breeder a copy of the Standard of Perfection is a must have. Used, older editions are available inexpensively & as long as your chosen breed/variety are in them they're fine. It's also a good idea to attend some poultry shows with your Standard. Compare winning birds with the Standard descriptions to help understand interpreting the breed descriptions. Attending shows also gives you the opportunity to meet & talk to breeders who can provide you with quality breeding stock to start with.
As to the bird you posted the person who gave him to you didn't do you a favor if you really want to breed Cochins. His colour isn't a standard variety so he's of no use for breeding or showing unless you just want to breed a flock of random coloured birds. That can be fun if it meets your needs. As to his type/shape there's more to Cochins than "nice loose feathering". Cochins should be round every way you look at them; sort of like big fluffy balls. They should appear to be massive birds.
If all you're after is some backyard chickens, and there's nothing wrong with that, your bird will be fine. If however, you really want good Cochins you need to start over.
If you want to talk about approaching breeding in a way that will be more successful PM me & I'll try to point you in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom