1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Large fowl Fibro Chickens

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by Shaunb020, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Shaunb020

Shaunb020 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2015
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    Anyone working on projects to get a Large fowl fibro Chicken? Possibly a good layer too? Most of the fibro breeds are from asia and they have substatially smaller birds when comparing to the American breeds. I have some silkies and some Ayam cemani hybrids I plan to cross with my jersey giant pullet in the spring and some Rhode Island hens or orpingtons that i hope to aquire soon. Just curious.I know 'Beer Can' here on BYC is working on Giant silkies.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    @Beer can

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  2. comster

comster Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2015
    Fresno, CA
    Hey, how's your breeding project going? I'm planing on breeding a fibro chicken to English Orpingtons. I'm aiming for a big fibro bird that is also a good layer.

3. Wappoke

Wappoke Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2015
    The black bone trait is a complicated polygentic trait and is dependent upon the inheritance of a sex-linked gene called dermal melanin. (dm) Along with the Fm locus. To keep things simple, treat the Fm locus like an incompletely dominant gene.

white skinned chickens with slate legs carry dermal melanin (d m)
    yellow or white legged chickens do not carry dermal melanin
    green or black legs may or may not carry dermal melanin

when doing crosses for the black bone trait use a male that completely expresses black bone trait - this ensures that the male can pass on at least on dm gene to some of the males and to some of the females, females with dm can only pass on one dm gene to the male offspring , the female offspring do not inherit a DM gene from the mother.

No DM No black bone trait

two dm genes in males + other required genes = black bone
    females can only carry one dm gene + other required genes = black bone

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  4. SovereignFarm

SovereignFarm Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2016
    So if a fibro rooster is bred to a DM carrying hen all babies will be fibro? Also are breeds DM carrying or not, (say black Australorp, are all DM carrying or you don't know until you hatch out eggs from each hen)?

5. Wappoke

Wappoke Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2015
    So if a fibro rooster is bred to a DM carrying hen all babies will be fibro?

No, the offspring will not inherit the correct number of loci to have fibro. They will be darker than other birds but not like a fibro.

Any bird that has slate legs carries dermal melanin, some birds with green legs carry dermal melanin and some birds with black legs carry dermal melanin. You can check the center of a birds foot to determine if it has dermal melanin. The center ( on bottom of foot) of a black foot will be white- no dermal melanin, The center of a green foot yellow no dermal melanin.

Last edited: May 12, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by