1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Large Fowl White Cornish Roosters or Hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cow bay rooster, Oct 18, 2015.

1. cow bay rooster

cow bay rooster Out Of The Brooder

OK I have 6 Standard Cornish and I'm trying to determine how many hens I have as the plan is to keep all the hens and 1 or 2 roosters to breed them. They are 18 1/2 weeks old, the first one is a rooster I"m trying to figure out if pictures 2-4 are hens.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  2. cow bay rooster

the chicken in the middle and left of the first picture I"m pretty sure they are rooster with the curved tails and redder faces

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    First is a cockerel, 2 and 3 look like pullets, and I think the last is a cockerel also.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    I agree.

5. Rhodebar Lover

Rhodebar Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Up North
    The first and last are definitely cockerels since they have pointed saddle feathers. The other two appear to be pullets.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's what I see, too.

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree. Also you might want to reconsider breeding the Cornish cross to your standard Cornish. One of the interesting quirks of hybridization is that Cornish cross mature much faster than either their standard Cornish fathers or their White Plymouth Rock mothers and are ready for butchering at 8 weeks. However, if you keep them much beyond that period of time, they begin to develop serious health problems due to their abnormal growth rates. As a result, Cornish cross only infrequently live to laying age and being hybrids, even if you do manage to breed some, they will not breed true. If you really want to breed Cornish cross yourself rather than purchase them as chicks, you would be better off to get some White Plymouth Rock hens and breed them to your Standard Cornish roosters. Their offspring would then be Cornish cross.

8. cow bay rooster

Thanks for the replies everyone! I've only had chickens now for a little over 7 months and had to google saddle feathers to see what you were referring too lol. This will definitely help me from here on in to tell the difference.

Right now I'm concentrating on raising Standard White Cornish as they seem to be a hard breed to find. So far my egg layers are keeping me in eggs and covering the cost of feed for all my chickens so if it take 8 weeks or 20 weeks to raise meat birds I"m ok with that.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    first and last are cockerels the others pullets

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by