Large Fowl White Crested Black Polish (MD) Shipping Included

Crunchie

Brook Valley Farm
12 Years
Mar 1, 2007
Maryland
I will have 6+ eggs from my pen of Large Fowl WC Black Polish that can ship tomorrow, 3/17. Nice birds, I have shown some of these at local/small shows. I do occasionally have a hen that develops little spurs (???) and I am culling to reduce the occurance of this, but overall I've been happy with these guys and their offspring. I get a lot of nice crests from this pen.

$20 total, includes shipping and delivery confirmation. Because these will need to ship tomorrow, I can only accept instant PayPal payment. I am an NPIP participant.

613_dsc_0718.jpg

613_dsc_0699.jpg

This is the rooster covering my hens right now--this is a pic from when he was a little less than a year old, and it doesn't do him justice. He has done a bit of developing since then! I don't have any current pictures of him, but he is quite impressive. His crest is awesome.
613_dscf0002.jpg

exactly how tall and big is your rooster? I am not sure if mine are bantam or standard but i think they are bantam. How could i for sure find out?

What are the personalitites of these birds. What sort of egg do they lay ( lrg, med or sm)?

I love the look!! Do they need extra protection? Can they see through the feathers? I'd love to have some. Do you think they would be ok free range with a coop and run, sometimes out on the land? Or should these guys stay up in a coop and run?

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
They are about the same height as a standard size chicken, just not as heavy as other standard breeds. I have both large fowl and bantam Polish, and there is no mistaking the sizes, definite difference between the two. My large fowl Polish are just as big as my Ameraucanas, they are just lighter.

Quote:
I find my Polish to be friendly and laid-back. I hear a lot of people say that they are flighty, but I don't find that to be the case at all with any of my varieties of Polish. My lines of birds develop very large crests--so no, they can't see through them very well. Unless you are going to show them, it's a good idea to trim the crest feathers from around their eyes. This helps them see better, and it keeps gunk from building up around the feathers near their eyes. I also do not free-range my Polish. I like to let them out when I'm going to be outside with them, but I don't let them free-range all day by themselves like some of my other breeds. Some people have good luck letting them free range if they give them very good haircuts so they can see well. If you don't have a big predator problem and don't mind some maintenance of their crests, I suppose it could be OK, but in general I would advise not to free range them. They lay a medium-sized white egg. My large fowl Polish are actually very good layers during the warmer months, but the girls do take the winter off.
wink.png
Mine seem to be hardy in our climate (I'm in MD--we have very hot summers and somewhat mild winters, though we routinely get below freezing temps and do get some occasional temps down into the single digits). I do not provide heat lamps for any of my birds, and I don't provide anything special for my Polish. All of my birds live in completely covered runs, so they don't get wet and have adequate shelter from the wind.

Well I have a trio of blue polish. My rooster is 6 months old. I thought he was a standard but I am not sure. I am wanting to expand my bloodline but I need to know what he is. About what age do the reach full size? Also are you saying that a standard is as tall as the other breeds like ameracanas they are just lighter in weight? Thank you for your help.

Quote:
Yep, mine are just as big as my Ameraucanas (which aren't huge birds to begin with, but I kind of think of them as an average sized large fowl breed, you know?), but they are lighter. I actually have one WCB Polish rooster that is bigger than any of my Ameraucana boys.
th.gif
He's a bit on the large side! Now, they aren't as big as my Marans, but my Marans are pretty beastly! They are definitely a "meatier" breed.
lol.png
I'll try to post the Polish breed standard if I can dig it up. At 6 months old your roo has some growing to do, but you should be able to tell. Do you have pics of your Polish? Maybe try posting a thread w/pics in the "what breed or gender" forum?

ETA: OK, but post the pics as a new thread in the what breed or gender forum...otherwise I'm gonna get in trouble for chatting in a buy/sell/trade post!
lol.png

ETA2: Ok, you already posted them to this thread...hehe.
lol.png
Hope you see I commented on the post above yours, I just don't want to keep bumping my for sale thread unfairly. Anyway, I love the color on the blue. Of course it's hard to tell the size with nothing for comparison, but the little black hen looks like a bantam, if that's your hand it's sitting on. But I don't want to say for sure. Post another thread in the breed/genetics forum and you'll get more opinions--do you have a pic of them next to any of your other birds, for a size comparison? I think they look nice. If they are only 6 months old, they still have some growing to do, and I bet their crests will get more full, too. Pretty birds.
smile.png
Though I am partial to Polish...
wink.png

Last edited:
Chickens29-08015.jpg

This is about a month before it started laying.
Chickens29-08034.jpg

and this one is the same age.
Also what do you think of their quality.

Back
Top Bottom