1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Large free range coup.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kashken, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Kashken

Kashken New Egg

Sep 14, 2016
    Hey everyone,
    I'm a new kid on the block and it looks like I will be going from zero to a hundred in pretty short order.
    I am getting into free range meat chickens on a large scale. Initial coup demensions are 12x20 foot with an eight foot off center "lean too" style roof.
    I am calculating a hundred to one hundred twenty five birds on a rotational bases. They will graze four different paddocks on a weekly rotational bases of approximately a half acre each.
    I have done alot of homework and a lot of research but I need any and all advice that this group can offer.
    Regards
    Ken
    Owner/ Operator
    Tripple H Farm
    Chesterfield SC

2. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Ken:

Do you have photos or a sketch of your actual or proposed setup?

I don't personally have any experience with meat birds, but what I have heard is they (they being Cornish Rock's) seldom venture far from the feeder. As in they don't get out and forage much. So a lot of growers tend to use tractors to physically force them to move to new ground and do so nearly daily. So a large group of birds on a small patch of ground and moved often is what most seem to have success with.

That concept also seems to offer the best chance of protecting them from predators.

You might also try posting your question on the meat birds forum?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/21/meat-birds-etc

Those folks might have a better idea on how to help?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by