Large Girl Can Barely Walk!

I am free ranging my girls, so she moves around quite a bit. Not as much as the others, but she tries to be like all of the other girls. I leave food pellets out so they can eat it if the need it whenever they want, as well. I think I will only put food out briefly so she cannot overeat.

Cornish Cross don't self regulate like other chickens. They will eat till all the feed is gone. They will spend their entire existence parked next to the feeder if allowed to. This constant eating, combined with their rapid growth rate spells disaster for their skeletal structures. By limiting how much they eat, you are limiting how fast they grow. This allows their bones to keep pace with their bulk. It enables their bones to be able to support their weight better, and helps to keep them more mobile.
Ok, thanks.

I am free ranging my girls, so she moves around quite a bit. Not as much as the others, but she tries to be like all of the other girls. I leave food pellets out so they can eat it if the need it whenever they want, as well. I think I will only put food out briefly so she cannot overeat.
thumbsup.gif

Yes , she definitely is a rescued meat hen, she is Geneticaly modified to be big to produce the most meat, DO NOT BREED HER, if she was to have chicks they would struggle a lot in life. If possible separate her and put her on a diet to loose weight so she can become healthier!

Take her off layer pellet and corn and feed her chick/duck crumb which is high in protein and give her fresh vegetables as often as possible , worms and lots of fresh water with some added apple cider vinegar , she will loose weight fast and become healthier . I would put her on this diet for 1 month and see how it goes . If fed on Chick Crumb don't eat her eggs as the medication in them isn't good for humans

Yes , she definitely is a rescued meat hen, she is Geneticaly modified to be big to produce the most meat, DO NOT BREED HER, if she was to have chicks they would struggle a lot in life. If possible separate her and put her on a diet to loose weight so she can become healthier!
They are not GMO. They are just a specifically selected crossbreed. And if they live long enough to lay eggs, the eggs will hatch just fine, provided they are fertile. Chicks will not have the same intense growth rate as the mothers.

Last edited:
She grazes all day on grass, bugs, etc. I have stopped putting pellets and scratch out on the ground when they are running around. I am going to put a bowl of food up on a picnic table for the others. Mae can't get up on the picnic table. Poor girl tried to follow the others through the rungs of a deck and she couldn't fit through. It's sad and kinda funny at the same time. I don't think I'll be able to separate her for a long period of time. She gets upset when she loses track of the other girls, so I will just have to feed her separately.

Do you think she could get enough food just by grazing and pecking the dirt for bugs?

Back
Top Bottom