Large greenish/purple spot on the shank. What is it?

b-nice

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 30, 2012
Indianapolis
I tried a while back to get some responses to this post but no luck so I'm trying again. My RIR hen has had this spot since she was very young. She is now about 20 weeks old and has never shown any other signs of being sick or different from the other hens. Her energy level, appetite, etc. are great. I contacted the board of health and spoke with a vet who really had no explaination. I even treated it with anti-fungal cream for a few days just for the heck of it to see if there would be a change, and there was not. Anybody out there have an idea? Thanks.

Do you have a picture? I had a rooster who had a green spot/patch on his leg and found out that when chickens get bruised it turns green before it heals (unlike humans where it turns purple and then fades to green/yellow). But if she has had that spot since being very young it wouldn't be a bruise. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately I don't have an option with my work computer to post a pic. The pick was in a previous post I submitted by a similar title.

I tried a while back to get some responses to this post but no luck so I'm trying again. My RIR hen has had this spot since she was very young. She is now about 20 weeks old and has never shown any other signs of being sick or different from the other hens. Her energy level, appetite, etc. are great. I contacted the board of health and spoke with a vet who really had no explaination. I even treated it with anti-fungal cream for a few days just for the heck of it to see if there would be a change, and there was not. Anybody out there have an idea? Thanks.
It could be a genetic trait(like a birthmark). Some chickens have green legs,and depending on what breed her parents/grandparents were,this is possible. If she is eating/drinking/pooping normal,then i would not worry. Search forum for green discoloration on leg there are others with the same issue.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom