Large growth on breast of Wyandotte

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jeannine, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Jeannine

Jeannine Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2008
    Williamston, S.C.
    My Coop
    One of my six hens has a large growth (see pix) on the front of her breast, and it hangs and sways in front of her as she walks. It was there a few months ago, then it seemed to deflate, and now it's back. She is not acting sick at all, and even picks at her own feathers on the growth, as some are now missing. I have not treated her with anything. The others are not showing anything similar, and they all get along fine, though she may get pecked on once in a while, but very rarely.
    Can anyone give me an explanation of what this might be? I've had chickens for about 6 years now and have never experienced anything like this. Because she doesn't act sick, I haven't stressed in trying to do anything for her.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not sure if I should even attempt to fix this, and not really sure if she is laying eggs, as I'm getting a few a day now. And do you think the eggs may be affected in any way? I have not seen any problem eggs so far.
    Thank you.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i dont know about illness in chickens but you said it deflated, so, is it air?

3. Jeannine

Jeannine Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2008
    Williamston, S.C.
    My Coop
    No, don't think it's air. It just got smaller at one point, but it took a little while. I just wonder if an egg got out of place, and got instilled in the front of her breast (if that's at all possible!) I'm afraid to press on it, but maybe I should try, just to see what it feels like.

4. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    not an egg. more then likely a tumor or cyst. could possibly be infection but doubtful if its been there a while and no other sickness [​IMG]

5. Chickenblog-ig

Chickenblog-ig New Egg

Mar 16, 2015
    Can you let me know if you found anything out, because the same thing seems to be happening to my white-leghorn. I want to take her to a vet, but I feel like it's better to research and ask beforehand.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could be a pendulous crop, which is a crop that has lost it's muscle tone because of eating a large amount. Or it could be a tumor. Some people use something called a crop bra to limit the amount that the crop can expand, but I really have no experience with those. A vet may be able to tell you if there is a serious problem, such as impacted or sour crop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by