large hard crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lkatsis1, May 12, 2010.

1. lkatsis1

lkatsis1 New Egg

Apr 29, 2008
    7 yr old pet RIR raised from 1 wk has large, hard crop --- read many contradictory solutions --- am very confused now. HELP, I do NOT want to lose her although she is showing no signs of distress.

2. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Her crop may be impacted. Try feeding her a scrambled egg made with lots of oil.

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Have you checked her crop in the morning after withdrawing food all night?

If you haven't there may not be a problem. It's ok if it's large and hard as long as it goes down at night time.

I would do that test - checking absolutely first thing in the morning - before panicking. She might be just fine.

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I agree about the morning check-up: sometimes they just eat so much it's as if they swallowed a baseball. If not down in the morning, I would mash up a hard-boiled egg and lots of olive oil to smooth things out.

5. bkjerabek1

bkjerabek1 New Egg

Sep 5, 2014
    My bantam has a crop that has been operated on, then two kinds of meds, then waited to see what would happen. Was feeding with tube some alfalfa liquid stuff through a tube (from the vet) . Was trying to get the crop back in tone after being so stretched. Introduced food, palm full two days ago but it feels like it is still just sitting there. Of course she wants to eat and drink but... not sure what to do. Our vet is not in every day and not sure about waiting.

6. bkjerabek1

bkjerabek1 New Egg

Sep 5, 2014
    Sorry, so tired. She had eaten 1 pound of sand!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by