Large, hot purple wattles!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jennyo, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Jennyo

Jennyo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2009
    I've just noticed that one of our hybrid hens has developed wattles that are not looking right. They're larger and more pendulous than usual, a dark purple colour and feel hot. Her comb looks fine. If I knew how to attach a photo I'd do so, but I can't work out how to do it. Other than a bit of diarrhoea, she seems perky and fine. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong? (The hen in question is about 4 or 5 years old).
    Many thanks!

Jenny
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    3 hybrids, 2 Cream legbars and 3 Welsummer bantam chicks

2. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

My roos wattles turned purple when he was suffering from heat stroke.

3. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    When you have posted ten posts you can start uploading some pics, I not really sure what's wrong with her [​IMG], I hope she gets better [​IMG]

4. mikensara

mikensara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    New York
    the most common causes i was able to come up with after googling is heat, dehydration, or lack of oxygen. I dont know what advice to offer but maybe move her somewhere cooler and give her fresh water and see if she improves.

5. Jennyo

Jennyo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2009
    With the summer we're having in the UK, unfortunately heat stroke is a very unlikely cause! [​IMG] The wattles aren't really swollen, they're just much longer than they are usually, and the ends are a bit squishy, but aren't painful to the touch for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by