Large Incubator build - need help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SportTees, Apr 2, 2009.

1. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm in the process of building an incubator. I'm building it similar to the sportsman. The problem I'm having is I have a fan in it but I can't seem to keep the temp consistent threw out. I haven't put any vent holes in it yet and I'm not real sure how big or how many it would need.

[​IMG]

2. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    That is a very nice looking cabinet.

2 vent holes: one directly behind the fan and the other near the bottom (say 3 to 4 inches from the ground).

It is always going to be warmer at the top and cooler at the bottom usually by one or two degrees.

Also, there is sometimes a difference in temps between the middle and sides.

Do you have the air space at the back like a Sportsman? Just curious.

3. SportTees

Quote:Thanks for the info on the vent holes! My problem is its 20 deg difference between the first and second shelve?? I don't understand how it could be off that bad. I don't have air space at the back.

4. saladin

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    I may be preaching to the choir; if so, just over-look it.

In the old wooden Sportsmans there is a space at the back of the incubator. It is the section in which the fan sits. This may be the difference?

5. SportTees

Heres the inside

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. saladin

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    I do think that may be the problem.

In the sportsman, the trays go back to the first inside wall; there is then a dead space between the first inside wall and the second or exterior wall. I'm sorry I don't have a picture. I hope you can understand what I mean.

7. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    In my opinion the Sportsman is not well designed. If you can still cut on your cabinet, make the front half of the top a door so you can service the humidity pans without opening the front of the incubator. One and one half inch vent holes are adequate for an incubator of the size shown. One in the top directly over the humidity pans, and one centered on the lower part of the door. Humidity can be controled very accurately by adjusting the amount of vent opening. Another flaw is, that on the Sportsman the primary thermostat is mounted in front of the heating element. Try to mount it on the rear wall where the air is rising from the egg trays. The secondary is fine mounted in front.

8. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

When you get done with that one, would you care to build me new cabinet as well? That is one good looking incubator you have there...

9. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    You might need a curculation system in your incubator. Maybe adding several fans around the incubator to make sure heat gets around? Also, I don't think that wood is very good insulation, it absorbs alot of humidity and doesn't trap heat well, that maybe one of your problems? But don't listen to me, I'm not even that sure of what I'm saying. My only expirience is research. [​IMG]

~Rio

10. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    Quote:Me too...put me on the list of your "list to build" too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by