Large - jumbo pullet egg - 68 grams!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hennypen, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Hennypen

Hennypen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    This is my mutt chicken's 6th egg and they keep getting bigger and bigger. She has not missed a day since starting. What other breeds lay huge eggs from start?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  2. ChickenGirl3

ChickenGirl3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Leghorns, Buffs, Barred Rocks,, Australorps, Delaware those are the most common and have a huge egg. My unknown chicken lays giant eggs and she is a small chicken compared to my Dominique. The eggs she might be laying could be double yokers or they might have another egg inside of that egg? Who knows did you eat one of her eggs yet?

3. Hennypen

Jun 14, 2009
    Not yet. I'll report back when we cook them tomorrow.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have a leghorn that just got through with molt. Her first few eggs looked like pullet eggs...

now.. they are JUMBO size. and her feathers look marvelous!

5. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    My austrolorpe laid an egg, very young, so beg that I could not close the egg carton. It was a double yolker. And delicious!

6. Hennypen

Jun 14, 2009
    single yolker. Big and delicious. All of them were.

7. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Mine all started out small...ameracaunas and barred rocks.

8. jenangelcat

jenangelcat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    Someone in my flock lays a huge triple yolker once a week. I also get quite a few double yolks. I have australorps, barred rocks and some mutts laying. The eggs are so big that they don't fit in the carton.

9. ChickenGirl3

ChickenGirl3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Quote:Strange I was certain that it would be a double yoker. Here is a funny story, every day my Silkie and Dominique switch off laying eggs. My Silkie laid one today but my Dominique didn't, yesterday my Dominique laid a egg and my Silkie didn't. I think my other hen is a white rock lays every day, Big, Brown EGGS!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  10. Hennypen

Jun 14, 2009
    Another HUGE egg. 2.9 oz

She had a few smalls and then this jumbo. It's a dark brown egg with lightish grey/brown speckles. Pretty egg. I can't imagine what she'll lay as a hen. This girl hatched July 11.

Now this one was a double yolker... found out when my son dropped it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by