Large legs and lays down a lot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by starshinewoman47, Oct 24, 2010.

1. starshinewoman47

starshinewoman47 New Egg

Oct 24, 2010
    Aloha I'm a newby from Kauai Hawaii. We have nine girls 18 to 20 weeks. I have two barred PR's and one of them is not right. Several weeks ago she started to lay down a lot more than the others for instance after eating she'll walk a few steps and plop down and through out the day she seems to rest much more than the others. She can walk without apparent difficulty and she eats with the others but she doesn't seem to be growing now and is somewhat smaller than her sister BR. Now here is the kicker... her legs are bright yellow and are twice as large as the pullets...Like she is a body on yellow tree trunks. She shows no other signs of illness. What could this be?

2. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    I really have no idea why she could have the extra large legs but it does sound like she could have a heart defect of some sort. I wish the best for her and hope someone else here will have some more answers for you. What are they eating?

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Are you positive she is a "she"? Roosters tend to have legs double the size of hens in large fowl breeds. Can you post a pic?

4. starshinewoman47

starshinewoman47 New Egg

Oct 24, 2010
    Well I uploaded two pictures and now I don't know how to get them in this message. Maybe the img button? The first is of her on the left and her sister on the right. Second photo of the legs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  5. starshinewoman47

starshinewoman47 New Egg

Oct 24, 2010
    The pics went into my uploads. Now how to get them into the body of the message????

6. forrestacres

forrestacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Squam Lakes - NH
    They both look like hens. Our hens all have experienced growth spurts at different times. Maybe she is a runt.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  7. starshinewoman47

starshinewoman47 New Egg

Oct 24, 2010
    Ok I can go with a runt but the huge legs compared to the other 8 in the flock and that she is laying down most of the day I don't get that. It isn't an emergency because she does eat and she can run, even if it does look weird with her kankles. Otherwise she has no issues. Thanks for the input. I'll just watch her I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by