Large lump and black holes on chicken neck

Tccarlow

Hatching
May 23, 2020
We’ve just noticed a terrible infection on one of my chickens. It’s a large lump with a black hole in it on her neck and a second hole on her head. She doesn’t have any other spots on her comb so I’m not sure it’s pox. Has anyone seen this before? The other 2 chickens are not pullets yet so I don’t think the others are attacking her. She was eating out of my hand 4 days ago and I didn’t see anything so it has come on very quickly. I feel terrible for her! Thank you for any ideas. Photos attached are fairly graphic I’m sorry.
BABABDD7-1570-49ED-8BFA-C24BB66DABA6.jpeg
44C1203F-309F-4312-956B-E9945DF88FEB.jpeg

I agree with @LaFleche. They look like puncture wounds that became infected. Is a vet an option? The tissue looks necrotic at this point. If you can't get her to a vet, I'd try to keep it clean. Use chlorhexadine to disinfect and apply vetericyn. I'd also give her electrolytes and vitamins.

Keep her away from flies if it is warm where you live to prevent flystike or maggot infestation. As said the wound should be disinfected (Hibiclen/chlorhexidene and water, weak Betadine, Vetericyn, or other wound spray,) and apply an antibiotic ointment to the wounds twice a day. Keep them open, and lay her on a clean towel or puppy pad for bedding. Isolate in a dog crate with food and water.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom