Large Lump in Breast

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Graphite, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Graphite

Graphite New Egg

Feb 4, 2007
    Sunday-Vet is Closed-just discovered golf ball size lump in upper right breast area of 3+ year old hen-lump is big enough that you can see that her feathers do not lay right on that side-sort of puffed out a bit-thought it was the wind at first until I picked her up. She did not lay egg today and has eaten more than normal-any ideas? She is also making a lot of noise, like she does when she is disturbed. She did not react specifically when I was examining the lump. She is an only chicken and has been for more than a year. She molted back in October and all feathers have regrown nicely. Don't know what to make of this.

Thanks

Janet

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I'm sure someone else will be of more help, but it sounds like a full crop to me.

[​IMG]

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Keep an eye on it and see if it goes down by the morning...It does sound like the crop to me also.

4. pdavis7484

pdavis7484 Out Of The Brooder

I have a three week old RIR pullet that also has a golfball size lump on her breast. Looks like a full crop, it isn't hard. kinda squishy. She acts normal and active. Any ideas?

5. pdavis7484

[​IMG] This is one of my 26 ladies.

6. wolfpack62001

wolfpack62001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    New Brockton, Alabama
    Oh Yea full Crop! take her feed away at night and it will be gone, if not she ate somthing that got stuck, in that case feed her Mollasses, it helps

7. pdavis7484

I took the feed away last night but, gave it back in the a.m. I checked on her this afternoon and it has gotten a little bit larger and is now firm. I'll try the molassas...any ideas bout how much? or any other ideas?

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Before you gave her the feed back, was it empty? If it was, you're fine.

9. pdavis7484

It never has completly emptied out.

10. pdavis7484

She's fine now....Guess she just decided to fill her crop to the brim.lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by