1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Large lump on left side, not the crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Clare_CA, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Clare_CA

Clare_CA Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2010
    Camarillo
    Hello all,

This forum has been so valuable to me for information, and so I want to thank you for your help in advance.

One of my chickens, a white-crested black Polish, has a large lump on her left breast which is getting bigger. It has been growing larger over the past three days, and today, it seems to have affected her ability to walk. I did a search, but mostly found crop issues. Her crop is in the center of her chest, and I can feel it. This lump is further to the left.

Thanks again. This is a picture of her from an earlier date. She is about nine months old now.

[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    could it be an abscess? how does it feel? maybe fill out the sticky at the top and that way we'll know more about the bird. Back in the fall chickiebooboo had a hen with an abscess on her chest, you might PM her and get some information.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  3. Clare_CA

Clare_CA Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2010
    Camarillo
    Hi Miss Lydia, thanks for your reply. I actually think now that it's a false alarm. I felt her up real good just now, and it seems to be soft fatty tissue maybe or maybe just a mass of protruding feathers. I didn't feel any cut or wound. She's eating normally, and although she seemed to have trouble this morning going over a entryway, she seems to be moving around better now. I'll keep an eye on her and report back if things get worse. Thanks so much for your help:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by