Large Marge Update (PICS)

chickeepoo

Songster
11 Years
Mar 10, 2008
Orlando, FL
Large Marge never lost her balloon butt or laid an egg (unless the soft-shelled egg that someone dropped from the roost a couple of mornings ago was hers), but her color did come back to her comb and wattles. My concern is that the skin on her backside is rosy PINK today, and she has either some irritation in her skin or something on her side near her tail- I don't know if it's where she got plucked by the other hens or what. She still eats and drinks and poops, and she still lingers in the hen house in the mornings unless she hears me bringing treats. She acted sick last week, but she seemed to be a bit better (except for her rosy pink butt now and no eggs). I've soaked her in warm water, massaged her abdomen gently, felt for an egg (never found one), and even tried to withdraw fluid in case it was ascites (no fluid ). Does anyone have any idea from the description and these pics what this could be? Does the change in her skin color indicate infection?
DSCN0145.jpg

DSCN0163.jpg

Dont know. Just looks like some sort-of chapped skin--I see she's been molting some. Some skin,especially where they rub it some on surfaces when feathers are missing, seems quite irritated. I dont know what to tell you about her abdomen unless she's laying internally. I've lost four to that.

The bubble butt. I have a hen that has that too. She's had it for a year and she's totally fine, though she doesn't lay as often and when she does lay the eggs are misshapen. I think it's either a benign tumor or some sort of reproductive deformity, maybe a cyst on the uterus or oviduct or something along those lines. It's pretty common though, especially in RIR and production poultry.

Thanks to you both- I guess we'll just keep letting Marge do her thing unless she gets horribly sick… I may never know what her problem is, but as long as she can still get around and enjoy life we'll leave well enough alone. BTW, is there any creme or something I could use on her to help soothe those red areas of skin while she grows in her feathers? I would guess her bottom is in contact with the 2x4 roost at least.

My bubble butt hen never regrew her feathers. I think it's because the lump puts pressure on the feather follicles and retards the growth. But you could put neosporin, aloe vera, or any rash ointment on her to help the irritation. Also, metacam (not sure about the spelling, prescription only anti-inflammatory) will reduce the size of the lump (most likely). Talk to your local vet and see if you can't get some. There's a special dosage for it though.

Back
Top Bottom