1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

large netting for roof

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by opihiman911, Nov 13, 2007.

1. opihiman911

opihiman911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    I am planning on expanding my flock in the next couple months. I was thinking about making my coop bigger, moving it to tractors in my gardens and several other ideas are being tossed around.

I do have a large area about 15x20' that is already bordered on 3 sides by a buildings and fences, so it could be sealed up pretty easy. I was wondering if anyone had a lead on large sturdy netting to make a roof with.

Does anyone know where i could get a large 20x20' sturdy netting? Would prefer larger holes so leaves and sticks and the occasional mango can fall through as it would be located under a mango tree. Nylon or some other synthetic material that withstands constant sun & salty conditions would be even better. I have thought about using 6x6" concrete reinforcing wire that I can get in 6' wide rolls, but I thought one huge net might be easier to work with.

Thanks & Aloha,
    Cory

2. hoosierhen

hoosierhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    How about a few hammocks sewed together?

3. opihiman911

Mar 19, 2007
    thats about the right idea, but I think I would need way too many hammocks. The ones I used for camping were like 6' long by 3' wide. So I would need like 15-20 of them.

I was thinking like a military cargo or camo netting. Something like they hide tanks and artilery with and can stick branhes and brush in for camo. I just can't find it online.

Cory

4. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Find a Army surplus store.

5. opihiman911

Mar 19, 2007
    First timer....awesome, thanks that is exactly what I was looking. Now I just add that to the ideas and try and figure out what I'm going to do.

Thanks & Aloha,
    Cory

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  6. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Go to a net company. Be it fish netting or stadium type netting. You can get single sheets in widths up to about 120 feet.

I did my aviary (30x40) with fairly heavy gill netting myself. It held up flawlessly for many years, until I took down the aviary.

7. jmass

jmass Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2007
    Marion
    I bought netting for the top of my run from ebay and i have no complaints. Be sure to order a larger size than you need. It may say it is 20 x 20 but it may be 22 x 18 or so.

8. mickey9

mickey9 New Egg

Jan 30, 2007
    Do you need to cover the top to make it into coop space--and therefore, predator proof at night? Or do you need to cover it for day run use--just predator proof for daytime. If all you need is daytime protection I have a suggestion. We cover day runs with strong fishing line. We simply staple it to the top of fence posts and crisscross it until it covers the space. The holes are big enough for leaves, branches, etc to fall through. But it keeps the hawks out (our daytime concern). And it is attractive b/c you can't really see it. Some people will use this method and tie strips of flagging tape to the line so hawks know it's there and stay away. I think the flapping tape would scare the poultry plus I know the hawks can see it without it. When we have babies in the run, hawks will cruise over a lot. They will also sit in the closest tree and watch. But they've never tried to charge the fishing line so I'm sure they can see it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by