Large Open Wound on 5 month old hen.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GreenGables, Mar 16, 2013.

1. GreenGables

GreenGables Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    MA
    I was watching my chickens this afternoon and noticed 2 of my leghorns and 1 of my Auracuna's pecking at the back of my Australorp. I immediately went out and found an open wound on her back the size of a regular egg.

[​IMG]

I would appreciate any help. I did remove her from our flock of 9 hens. I read to use Hydrogen Peroxide and then Iodine tea. 7 of my hens are 5 months and 2 are 3 years old. One of the 3 year old hens can be aggressive. I'm not sure the reason for this wound. Gratefully submitted.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Peroxide and iodine are both very rough on new tissue. After cleaning once, I would use Neosporin or some other brand of topical antibiotic. Be sure it has no "caine" ingredient like cetacaine, benzocaine, etc.

If you have a roo, that could easily be a mating injury. An aggressive hen could also be the cause. If this is the case, when you get the wound healed, I'd remove the bully for a week or so. This tends to put them at the bottom of the pecking order.

3. GreenGables

Feb 25, 2011
    MA
    Thank you so very much for responding!

4. GreenGables

Feb 25, 2011
    MA
    It has been one week since I started treating my chicken's wound. I think it's looking pretty good. The first picture is how I found her and the second is how she looks today. She layed her first egg today too. What a trooper! Graphic photos
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by