Large or bigger White egg layer suggestions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chinchilla2, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Okay, I like brown eggs so I read up on brown egg layers and found the ones I wanted. However, now I have a friend that wants white eggs. Tried convincing this person that brown eggs are just as good if not better than white ones but it's like [​IMG]. (Personally I prefer the brown ones, they take me back to when I was a kid and my Great-Gramma Lil would let me go gather eggs up for breakfast during the summer.) Top that off with him constantly changing his mind from one type of chicken to another and I feel like [​IMG]. As a result, I finally got him to agree to pick one of the top three suggestions from the very knowledgeable people here at BYC, find the eggs, and I'll hatch them out for him. At the very least it has [​IMG] for a while.

Here are the requirements:

Large white egg, extra large preferred.
    Only medium to large breed chickens apply.
    Must be willing to work under extreme drought conditions in Central Texas.
    Newly hatched chicks must be able to handle being toted around and hand fed by an eight year old baby bird loving child.
    Would consider a medium to large egg laying breed.

Thanks in advance, everyone!

2. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    I know white leghorns are pretty hardy and they are known for laying lots of extra large white eggs.

3. Maximus

Maximus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Altha Florida
    He needs white Leghorns! [​IMG]

P.S Brown eggs ROOL!!!

4. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    California Whites are a bit easier to handle.

5. Chinchilla2

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Two votes for white leghorns and one vote for the California White. I'll pass this info along. Thanks bunches!

6. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    I forgot about california whites. They are easier to handle and do pretty good producing eggs. Not as good as the white leghorn but the previous poster said they are easier to handle. I think it depends on you friends personal opinion.

7. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    White leghorns..we have tried all the white layers but the others don't come close to the size and frequency..plus they don't mind drought and 115 degrees..they are the only thing laying here right now and they are as chipper as can be..wish we were.They are not hard to handle they are quick on their toes...never had one taken by predators and we free range ours..They will come hang out at your feet but if you do carry them around once they are tweens and older the sky is falling while being picked up and then turn to instant gentle fluff once you have them secure.

8. Chinchilla2

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Thanks everyone for the advice. He has gone with the majority opinion here and selected white leghorns. Now to convince him that week old pullets will NOT start laying eggs on command [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by