large red area , and pretty large no feathers where looks like right where vent is... about the siz

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sweet Honey, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Sweet Honey

Sweet Honey Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2013
    anyone seen what im talking about on vent? and about her leg has a sore on it. size of nickel.. other 2 hens are pecking at it.because of blood. going to separate her tomorrow.. . but very worried about red weird vent... any seen the vent area look swollen red no feathers.. it looks like it hurts ..she seems ok tho... I know something is not right.. anyone have any idea...will try and get pix in morn.. ps do I need to get antibiotics for her leg? pss mostly worried about vent help..thx Felicia

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Pictures will help. A prolapsed vent or cloaca could be a possibility, when some of the vent tissue comes outside the vent, and it can attract pecking by others. Sometimes chickens will also just peck each other's feathers or vent when bored, overcrowded, can't get outside, or are lacking enough protein in the diet.

3. Sweet Honey

Sweet Honey Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2013
    Thx for getting back to me.. Well its defiantly not over crowding... Here is a pix I took this morning.. And BTW she died this morning... Any idea on what this is? thx..... [​IMG]

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm sorry for your loss. It's not clear to me what she died of, so I would have probably sent her to the state vet for a necropsy. Abdominal cancers are common in chickens, and reproductive disorders are common. Spend some time watching the behavior of the others to determine if there is any bullying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by