Large rooster is breaking skin of my hens, exposing muscle...

scantrell

Hatching
May 15, 2018
I have had to put a second hen down now because of my rooster. He stands on their backs/hips and in doing so is breaking skin. Will chicken saddles help to prevent this situation? I live in GA where it can get nearly as hot as TX. What are my options? Any info or help is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Wounds THAT bad means your rooster is inexperienced and/or rough. Separate him permanently, he probably will continue this bad behavior. Most BYC members will tell you to kill him, I just separate bad roosters into new pens.
How old is he? He might grow out of it eventually

Any bird doing those sort of injuries to my hens would be gone so quick! if young and you have the space then put him on his own until he gets older or if not freezer camp. I'd be worried having a bird like that as I have a small child - I guess others have different tolerances depending on your situation.

He isn’t intentionally doing it,and it happens,mating is normal,injures is normal.Soundd like he may have some very long claws or spurs,if he is roughly mating them,lock him up until spring is over.Have you witnessed him do it?

I have had to put a second hen down now because of my rooster. He stands on their backs/hips and in doing so is breaking skin. Will chicken saddles help to prevent this situation? I live in GA where it can get nearly as hot as TX. What are my options? Any info or help is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Welcome to BYC...sorry you are having troubles.
Saddles might help, but you are correct to be concerned about the heat.
Knowing more about the situation would help.
Not sure how broken skin would kill a bird....how bad were the wounds?
How old is the cock/erel...and the girls?
Is he clumsy...or are the girls not submitting?
Does he have extremely sharp toenails/spurs?
Why do you want/need this cock/erel?
Might be best to get rid of him.

In answer to your questions:
  • The skin on the first two were broken to the extent of exposing the entire thigh and back muscle which had become dry to the touch. Something had taken advantage of the situation for the second hen as there was a hole in the dry surface of the muscle and some form of larvae (minus details) were present.

I will answer your other questions but first I just looked over my other girls and found that they each have broken skin. Some in varying degrees of less severe to being as severe as the first bird I found. They are all alert and running but the wound is still present.

The wounds range from .75-3" in length and the width of exposure varies. I really do hope you have some good news for me. On the plus side, I did just have a hen hatch 8 chicks. The mother hen and her chicks are separated from the rest of the flock and are safe from the cockerel.

Your question gives me hope that I may not have to put the remainder of my flock down but with the exposure of muscle, though I admit that my hope is but a glimmer based on the appearance of the wounds.

In answer to your remaining questions:
  • I'm unsure of their age as I received them from a family member.
  • He is not clumsy necessarily, but he is a big bird.
  • Some of the girls submit while the others, not so much.
  • I have noticed he does have what I would describe as long nails and spurs but this is really subjective and I'm very new.
  • I am not "married" to this cockrel and am presently planing to harvest him seeing the results he is having on the girls.
Thank you for your time and input and for any suggestions or information you have to offer!!

Was just coming back to acknowledge that the wounds were severe, and you said so in the title but I missed it.

I'd get rid of him, and separate him asap to avoid any further damage.

The wounds may heal, I've read about some horrible wounds down to the muscle that healed fine over time. The larvae, known as 'fly strike', may also be resolved but that will take more care and treatment.

I wish I had some articles or threads I could link for you to treat these wounds.
I'd bet @WVduckchick has some in her notes.
But here's a search on fly strike to get you started:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/search/24831097/?q=fly+strike&t=post&o=relevance&c[title_only]=1

Sorry you are having trouble, but glad you joined us!

Sorry @aart I don't have any handy articles on fly strike or treatment of the wounds.

I've had roosters much larger than hens that never did much damage, other than wear out their feathers a little, so being larger is not great, but he still doesn't seem to know what he is doing.

My first thought was long spurs. This is my choice of spur removal methods. Not so much removal but 'reduction'. The one in this video has huge spurs. The owner even says he will do them again in a couple of weeks. Its much easier with a helper for me, but I've done it a few times and was amazed at how easy it is. Check your roosters spurs and toenails.

Back
Top Bottom