1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Large roosters, smaller hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by OutInTheStiks, Dec 1, 2009.

1. OutInTheStiks

OutInTheStiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Thorn Hill, TN
    We are beginning to consider different roosters for our up and coming flock of pullets. The flock will consist of 1 Welsummer, 2 Lakenvelders, 3 White Leghorns, 4 standard cochins and 4 large breed barnyard mixes. We are not worried about keeping purebred stock, that may come later. For now, we enjoy watching the barnyard mixes grow and change.

Our only concern revolves around the Lakenvelders and Leghorns. I know that they are small, light breed hens. I don't want to put them at risk by putting them with too large a rooster. Does anyone have any experience, positive or negative, with allowing small but standard hens to breed with large roosters. We are currently considering an Orpington rooster.

Thanks for all your input. The collective mind of BYC is the best!

2. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    If you are not worried about cross breeding, I would be fine with it. A lot of people have an anything goes chicken coop and do fine. Its not like they are bantams. There is a large size difference, but think about a BO....they are fluffy. Now think about a LH....hey aren't. He will still weigh her down, but he isn't from an aggressive breed.
    I have even seen a BO roo with a bantam hen and he didn't seem to hurt her. Its just that she was temporarily penned to the ground.
    When my RIR was crossed with a bantam hen, the little chick started out small, but he didn't stay as small as he would have if I had breed her with another bantam. He never got as big as my RIR.
    I don't think you have anything to worry about. The only thing is that with BO I wouldn't expect him to go around to so very many girls, but you mentioned the types and amounts and it doesn't sound like he will have a lot of company, so he should be fine.

3. kemoldenhauer

kemoldenhauer New Egg

Sep 13, 2009
    Hi! I have experienced this senerio. I had a large barred rock rooster and smaller hens. The rooster ended up ripping all the back feathers off the smaller hens when he jumped on their backs. They were naked on the back and one even had some bad scratches for his sharp toenails. I got rid of the large bird and have a Thai game bird now. He is very lean and light and doesn't hurt the feathers on his ladies. So maybe a lighter breed would be better. Orpingtons are HUGE! Blessings!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by