Large soft crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EricH, Jan 4, 2011.

1. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    I have been using a nice insulated shed as a brooding area. I have 2 chickens (different ages) with very large crops. I tried searching out crop illnesses. From what i read an impacted crop will make the crop back up and will be full and hard correct? this crop feels more like gas or liquid more than anything else. i gave the chicken some oil in a syringe as people have suggested and i use ACV in my water. Could a lack of grit cause this? or wrong organ? They mainly just eat regular chick starter and the bigger ones get a little scratch. im perplexed! She seems less active than normal but doesnt seem ill-feeling. the other one is probably a month old or so same thing. Anyone know what would cause it beer-belly syndrome in a young pullet?

2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  3. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Are you sure it's not just a full crop? My girls go to bed every night with HUGE soft crops - quite content (and I do mean HUGE!). Apparently, they don't want to starve overnight. [​IMG]

4. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Check in the morning and see if it's empty. Then you'll know if you have an issue [​IMG] they're supposed to empty over the night!

5. EricH

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    hey guys, thanks a lot for the input. Definately not FULL crop. I know what full one looks like. This has been persistant in this poor little bird for about a week. ill check out the sour crop information. Thanks a bunch guys.

6. RhodeIslandRedFan

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    How did your chicken's crop look this morning? Had it emptied overnight, or was it still enlarged?

7. EricH

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    no it didnt empty. I think perhaps a lack of grit in their diet caused this. I did burp the hen though as someone on a thread suggested. Was able to get a lot out. This has been going on for about a week or so so obviously some food and water are getting through. I will give them more grit and hope everything turns out ok.

8. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    Quote:im having the same issue with one of my pullets . softball size crop soft squishy. vommits when i pick her up and tilt her downward. all liquid i just noticed this today . so not sure how long shes been like this shes only 6 months old hasnt started laying yet. she does eat and drink i watched her do that today . she also got into a scuffle with a hen over food but the other hen started it. so atleast she has energy to fight back. not sure what to give her to help her get better. any help is aappreciated.

9. RhodeIslandRedFan

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    EricH -I am really not an expert here, and I have no experience with crop issues, but if I suspected one of my chickens had sour crop, I would follow the advice in this thread (link below - see post #2). From what I've read, on this site and elsewhere, it is normal for a crop to look and feel full during the day, but the crop should empty over night and in the morning (before the chicken eats) feel flat. I've read about 2 two types of crop problems: impacted crop and sour crop. Impacted crop feels hard, sour crop feels soft (described as feeling like a water balloon), with a sour smell if the chicken vomits. From what you describe (the crop feels like gas or liquid) it sounds like sour crop. I wish I could be of more help to you. I am hoping someone with more experience will come along soon.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=378303&p=1

10. EricH

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    Yeah, i appreciate your help. I have been reading about this stuff. I dont think its exactly "sour" crop, but i do think its some sort of crop blockage. thanks for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by