Large, Squishy crop..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ellie, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I came out to see my speckled sussex with a huge crop and I massaged it. She got up and drank water, and I ran in to read all I could on crops here and in my chicken health book. She free ranges during the day and is in the coop at night. The other 8 hens look fine.

I cannot do surgery.... just can't. I did however, pick her up and tilt her downward while massaging and lots of white thick liquid came out. I let her rest in between but did that until I could see no more liquid. It appears to have gone down some, but I may be imagining t.

She is now buck ow ing at intervals as if she is trying to throw up. Do I keep massaging? She is not eating so I know I dont have to sepate her at the moment. I don't think she will take bread with olive oil.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
    Ellie

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I would separate her. The others may start pecking at her where she is having trouble. I hope someone comes along with more help!

3. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*hi, ellie-- she may have yeast-- very contagious from wild birds, but I've never seen what it looks like in chickens-- hang on & the more experienced folk will get here soon.

4. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Thanks, she is all by herself and I am going out and massaging the crop and back in here to the forum to see what else I can do for her.

Ellie

5. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I just lost a hen this morning who had a large crop that was squishy , put the more I felt around it also felt crunchy - after she passed I opened her crop and found tons of feathers with a very nasty cloudy thick smelly liguid ( I posted a pic )

please watch her -

Julie

6. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I read your post. I am so sorry for your loss of your girl.

It appears she quit gagging and is now walking about and drinking a lot of fresh water. I put her in a huge dog pen. This time during massage, no liquid came out of her mouth like before. Now it just feels like there is air coming out a little when I did it.

Anything I can do for her?

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I am not sure how you can help with the crop, but I do want to mention that you have to watch forcing vomiting. I have heard they can aspirate the contents coming up which can cause problems with breathing. I'm not sure of much more in details, but I am sure someone else on here has heard about this and could advise.

Jody

8. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Thanks for the advice. I was very careful with her while massaging. In fact, the stuff just started coming out so I tilted her down a bit so as not to have it get stuck in her throat but you are right.. she appeared to be choking on the stuff... Nothing comes out of her mouth when I massage now.

I just let her out of the dog cage because she was distressed and the others were all by the pen calling her. They are not bothering her so I let her go with them. It is nearly time for them to go to bed so I didn't want her further stressed by not being able to go in with the flock.

I am watching carefully as I can see them all out the window as I type.

I guess I will just have to let her either get over this and help by massaging or she will pass away, yes? [​IMG]

I have not tried olive oil down her beak.... doesn't seem like it would help since it is not hard... but squishy. She gets homemade yogurt every morning.

Ellie

9. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*you sure it's not the yogurt still in her crop, ellie?? Chickens sometimes "carry stuff around" awhile--kinda like packing a lunch! Did you say she's NOT eating? Is she losing weight?

10. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    what does the crop feel like?
    is it grainy?
    is there a lump?

check her mouth and throat for whitish or yellowish plaque or sores.
    and any sour odor.

please describe droppings.

this hen could have sour crop, possibly caused by canker.
    and impaction...

are you able to take her to a vet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by