large stone like growth / attachment on center toes of hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by horsehauler, Nov 6, 2010.

1. horsehauler

horsehauler New Egg

Nov 6, 2010
    Daughter picked up a three year old hen, mixed background but pretty girl. appears healthy, active and friendly. she has a large i.e. 1 inch+ diameter, something on the end of her center toes. one on rt foot is a bit larger than the left. Previous opwner stated she has a habit of standing in poo and the two stone like objects are actually dried poo. they are round/oval like a river rock in shape. she walks OK but lifts her legs in a funny way because of these attachements.

Question is; is this really a build up of poo or is it a growth of some sort that we need to be concerned with. if it is really poo would taking a pair of plyers to the poo ball and breaking it apart be the thing to do or simply let it be. hammer and chisel, soaking it in warm water may also be affective but just not sure, haven't seen this before. when she walks on the coop decking she sounds like she has a wooden leg as she goes clump with each step she takes.

thanks in advance for any advice on this!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Do a search on here for bumblefoot. It might be a staph infection (bumblefoot) in which case you will need to lance it and get the cheesy substance out (but I have NO experience with this- this is just from reading on here).

I hope you can find the answer.

3. Paaz1120

Paaz1120 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    It could be dried poo on her toe. I had to clean up 2 hens I got and it was the same thing, you'll want to soak her feet and gently rub it with soap.
    You'll want to get it off ASAP because some times it can squeeze the toe and actually kill it. Because it will cut off circulation and such.

Good Luck!
    Have a Great day!

4. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    we got a few hens last year with big round poop build up. I put baby oil on the amd pliers and lightly squished them. The cracked like an egg and fell off. Might want to just work in some oil to soften it up first.
    Quote:

5. Paaz1120

Paaz1120 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    It could be dried poo on her toe. I had to clean up 2 hens I got and it was the same thing, you'll want to soak her feet and gently rub it with soap.
    You'll want to get it off ASAP because some times it can squeeze the toe and actually kill it. Because it will cut off circulation and such.

Good Luck!
    Have a Great day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by