LARGE STRANGE GROWTH, GETTING LARGER! see photos please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SqueakyRoseShalom, Aug 13, 2014.

1. SqueakyRoseShalom

SqueakyRoseShalom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

About ten days ago i noticed that one of my hens had a bulge between her legs, and I thought that she just needed to lay an egg. I noticed it again two days later and I thought the same thing. Again, two days later and this time I though Wow! I guess she's a prolific layer. ( [​IMG] I know, I was being a little slow!) Well today the bulge had gotten significantly larger. I felt it and it doesn't seem to be an egg, it's very soft and mushy. HELP!!!! What's wrong with my hen?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    OMG! [​IMG] I think, since it's squishy, that it could be an absess. A pocket filled with infected fluid.....Maybe you could puncture it with a sterile needle and drain it....And give her some antibiotics in her drinking water like duramayacin.....

Gosh is that HUGE!

3. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    It probably is ascites, which is a fluid collection, kind of like water. If you have a syringe, you can draw it out. It will probably come back and you will have to drain it occasionally. Is she an old girl?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

There are several things this could be and I don't think I'd be sticking a needle in there until I knew what it was. I had a hen with a very similar looking issue with a soft bulge in the same area. Took her to my avian vet and it turned out to be a hernia, some of her internal organs had dropped down into the pocket. In a case like that you don't want to be sticking a needle in there. If at all possible I'd really suggest having her looked at by an avian vet so you know what you are dealing with and what to expect.

1 person likes this.
  6. SqueakyRoseShalom

SqueakyRoseShalom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Thank you all very much for responding! I have never taken any of my girls to an avian vet before, so I guess that I will google to find one. Thanks again!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by