1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Large tumor like growth on my hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by calliepax, Sep 20, 2015.

1. calliepax

calliepax Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2013
    [​IMG]
    My hen has this huge tumor like mass on the right underside of her abdomen. I have drained it once and was able to get some light yellowish fluid out but it did not get much smaller at all and it was very hard. Does anyone have a clue what this could be or how to treat her?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  2. calliepax

Oct 14, 2013
    Does anyone have a clue?

3. Chicken Helper

Chicken Helper Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2015
    Chicago,il
    Hm I dont know but I suggest to go to a vet,they will know what to do.if you want her to live,you might have to pay for it.

4. Chewbagawk

Chewbagawk Out Of The Brooder

Could she possibly be egg bound?

5. calliepax

Oct 14, 2013
    Thank you

6. calliepax

Oct 14, 2013

I do not believe she's egg bound, she has been like this for a couple weeks. She eats and drinks with no problem. She even chases bugs, she hops on one leg, but she will chase them. She will stand on both legs, but usually hops wherever she goes.

7. calliepax

Oct 14, 2013

Thank you.

8. tinasfinest

tinasfinest New Egg

Jan 31, 2016
    I need help. Just got this hen from auction and she has this mass. I seen it when i bought her in cage with 3 other hens. They came as group. Was hoping maybe egg bound. I inserted finger and mass doesnt seem like it is from her vent. Had my finger a couple inches and could feel another hole inside but disnt know if i should go that far in. What is th[​IMG]is? Egg nound or tumor.

9. calliepax

Oct 14, 2013

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you know if she was vaccinated for Mareks disease? Tumors can be common in chickens, but especially if they have Mareks disease or avian leukosis.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by