Large Variation in Temp Throughout Incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by barnkat, Apr 18, 2008.

1. barnkat

barnkat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Western Mass
    I set two thermometers in my Hova-Bator and get 104 on the heating coil side, and 97 on the other side. The thermometers read the same temp outside the incubator, so it's not the thermometers. I'm worried that only a few eggs will be at the right temp, and all the rest will be too hot or too cold...

I've got the eggs in a turner, anyone recommend rotating it (or the eggs) once a day, or would the constant change in temp be even worse than a consistent (but imperfect) temp? Should I leave each egg in the same spot and just hope for the best?

This is my second time using this incubator, first time 2/8 hatched, late, and died within a few days, so I'm trying to be extra careful of the temp, humidity, etc!

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    What kind of thermometer are you using?

3. barnkat

barnkat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Western Mass
    Just a couple of standard 5$ mercury thermometers that you'd hang on a wall, with humidity meters built in. Not the little cheap little one that came with the incubator, but nothing fancy either.

4. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Temperature readings are taken at egg level. That is the only reading to be concerned with. readings above the coils will be HOT as readings below the turner will be a degree or more cooler than egg level.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by