1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

large White spot on head = Male???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by juliebeer, Apr 23, 2007.

1. juliebeer

juliebeer New Egg

Apr 16, 2007
    Kitsap Peninsula, WA
    I read in one book that a large white spot on top of my barred rock's head indicated that it was a male. I wondered it that is true. It seems so small compared to the other barred rocks I have and he is so quiet and passive. Does that white dot thing hold true? My other two have a little white on their head, but not nearly as much as he does, but they are bigger all over, including their legs and I got them all at the same time at a day old.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

USUALLY, it holds true. I'd say 90% of the time, you can bank on it, but I have a hen that had a humongous headspot, lighter coloring with wide bars, the whole bit. She broke every rule in the book. The barring will make a cockerel look more silvery overall.

3. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    I have 10 BSL chicks, and the ones with the spots on the top of their heads are cockrels. Darn my digital camera for taking a hiatus on me, or else I would have already taken a million and one pictures of the girls, boys and the coop/run being made. One of my male BSL was the alpha in their pecking order (before we moved them with the older girls ~ which was only a 2 week difference in age). Pecking order has been re-established and that same male BSL is right in the middle of all the older girls taking his place as head rooster. It amazes me. We'll see how my 5 BSL pullets do in another 3 weeks or so when everyones pecking order will be disrupted once again. [​IMG] Best of luck to you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by