1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Large woobly chest.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tillergirl, Sep 28, 2012.

1. tillergirl

tillergirl Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2009
    Hi,
    I have 3 hens and the runt of the brood so to speak Monopod so called because she likes to stand in that fashion. I noticed this morning that she has a large woobly chest. she seems to feeding ok. The only way to describe it would be a large chested lady out and about with out a bra.
    Any ideas?

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I like your description. :)

Has she always had this issue, or is it new? Check her crop, is it full and hard, or does it feel like a water balloon?

3. tillergirl

May 6, 2009
    This is new.
    The crop is around the neck yes. That bit is fine. The large woobly area is absolutely solid and she is loosing her feathers in this area aswell it looks bruised colour wise.

4. aoxa

Could you take a picture? I am having a hard time imagining that one. I haven't seen anything like it :confused:

5. tillergirl

May 6, 2009
    [​IMG]Side view you can see her square appearance white tufty bit it the woobly section.
    [​IMG]Mono looking rather miffed arrow pointing to section in question.
    [​IMG]And my husbands idea of a close up.

6. aoxa

That is her crop.

She has either eaten quite a bit and adjusting her crop, or she could have an impacted crop.

How new is it? Did it start today?

What I would do is withhold any food overnight and into the morning. Tomorrow AM check her. If the crop still looks like that, it is impacted or has gone sour.

7. tillergirl

May 6, 2009
    Ok thanks i thought the crop was further up. Thankyou for your help will set to with oils and massage.

8. aoxa

Nope., the crop is usually right near the breasts. Looks like they have only one breast. Sometimes they can be up near the neck if they have a weird placement, but it's normally right where your hen's is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by