1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Larger sized, better laying Silkies

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AChickChick, Apr 4, 2012.

1. AChickChick

AChickChick New Egg

Apr 4, 2012
    I realize the US has primarily bantam sized Silkies. Does anyone in the US have standard size Silkies, or even larger sized bantam Slkies? Also, how often can a Silkie be expected to lay, per week, during laying season? Is it possible for a small Silkie flock to feed a medium sized family with eggs? Or, are Silkies really just ornamental and for show, as opposed to egg layers. Of course, I realize Silkies won't lay like a Heritage breed, or a production hen, but would a flock of perhaps 10 Silkies provide a family of 5 and the in laws with enough eggs to eat? Also, if it makes any difference, we prefer bearded buff Silkies.

2. AChickChick

AChickChick New Egg

Apr 4, 2012
    Also, who has some larger size (if even just larger sized than most US Silkies, not actual standard size) bearded Silkie pullets for sale? We're in New England. I prefer buffs, but will consider any color if the size is good. We can pick up anywhere in New England.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by