Largest an irresponsible chicken owner can get a BROILER!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bradleyjpyle, Oct 3, 2012.

1. bradleyjpyle

bradleyjpyle Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2012
    CLOSE THREAD

edit:

My lack of chicken experiance led me to believe it was foolish to grow broilers past 8weeks or the flock would start dying of heart failure and having leg problems.

If I started out with 30 broilers and only 1 survived to 6months just because im to lazy to put them out of their misery yeah your all right.... Im not irresponsible.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Yes, they can easily get to 20 pounds and I don't see anything irresponsible about it.

Irresponsible chicken owners don't feed or water or clean. There isn't anything irresponsible about keeping a healthy Cornish Cross chicken for years.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They can live a number of months, even over a year, maybe two if on a restricted diet and "forced" to move about. As long as they are healthy, with a bright comb, ability to stand... they can get quite big and chunky. Some have kept hens long enough to lay even. That said, for the average person, it's usually more feed, time, and work... and poop than it's worth to keep one.

4. El Exorcisto

El Exorcisto Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Please explain how raising a bird to that point is irresponsible. At the six month point the skeleton and organ systems should be catching up with the rest of the body and result in a bird that should be able to survive for an extended period. In the late 1800s Black's Jersey Giant were bred to be caponized and raised to the 20ish pound mark. There's nothing irresponsible about keeping a chicken alive until it dies of natural causes.

5. greenhorn

greenhorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Millington, MI
    deleted post....

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by