largest hens?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by raiderbabe239, Oct 25, 2009.

1. raiderbabe239

raiderbabe239 ♥ Hatchaholic ♥

Jun 19, 2009
    Fort Myers, Fl
    okay so yesterday at a swap my dad bought a buff brahma roo, hes LF and hes HUGEE!l! 2 maybe 3 feet tall well now were looking to find some hens for him that would be closer to his size what breed of hens get the largest?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If you want purebred chicks, get him some Brahma ladies. Brahmas and Orpingtons as well as dark, breeder quality Rhode Island Reds (my girls are humongous, as large as my BR rooster!). Standard Cochins would be good, too.

3. raiderbabe239

raiderbabe239 ♥ Hatchaholic ♥

Jun 19, 2009
    Fort Myers, Fl
    okay lol i was gonna get him some brahma hens but the guy i bought him said they didnt breed well and most of the eggs wouldnt be fertile? i love my bantam cochins mabe well get him some standard cochin hens lol

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have no idea why he'd say they don't breed well. Many chicks have hatched from my 14 lb Blue Orp over my Buff Brahma hen.

5. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Good brahmas breed quite well and are just as fertile as any other group of chickens. Get him some buffs or get lights too for some variety. I'm looking for LF Dark Brahma eggs to hatch... sigh. Eventually..

6. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    My Black Copper Marans are probably close to 8-10lbs and same with one of my delaware hens these are hefty ladies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by