Laryngotracheitis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rosiekitty94, Sep 30, 2013.

1. rosiekitty94

rosiekitty94 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2013
    Maryland
    So, I had a flock of two hens who had gotten over a respiratory infection after a two week course of duramycin a month ago. I introduced some new birds I had bought at a local poultry swap. The man assured me they could go right in with my other birds and that they had had all their vaccines. Like a fool I listened. Less than a week later, one of my older birds started gurgling. I believe that these birds might have already had their laryngotracheitis vaccines and spread it to my other birds. I am in the process of obtaining oxine to fog my coop with, the gurgley one has been quarantined and I have already disinfected many surfaces with diluted bleach water. I'm feeding the sick girl well but she really has no appetite. I am going to buy the laryngo vaccine from poultrysupplies.com. Should I give this to my old birds even though they've already been exposed to the vaccine? Should I give it to my new birds though I suspect they've already had it? In your experience, is there anything I could do to comfort or raise the chances of survival for my sick one? Please help! [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How do you know it is LT and not some other respiratory disease? Are the having bloody secretions? Sorry that I can't help with info about vaccines. An avian vet might help.

3. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    i was afraid that was what it was, but didn't want to scare you. Our flock had it several years ago. The Chicken Doctor sold us a vaccine, I think it's a dead vaccine, that makes it so the birds are not carriers. Really. We vaccinated the entire flock...sick, well, old and young. We were under the supervision of State vets because it is a mandatory quarantine here if the birds get it. They gave us a thumbs up on the vaccine, and worked with us, gave a lot of advice. They said to continue with antibiotics to help combat secondary infections, as well as administring the vaccine. We lost several birds, but not the entire flock by any means. Vaccinate ALL your birds, use the Oxine, and
    feed them as well as possible. Some will improve, and some may not get it at all. Just make sure that it's the kind of vaccine that will not make them carriers. I know many will not believe there is such a vaccine, but there actually is. You will not necessarily see any bloody discharge, although that is one symptom of ILT. We never saw any. The only way to know for sure you have it, is if the birds die, and you send them in for for a necropsy. Which I would highly recommend. If you have a very sick bird that you think will not make it, I would ask your State ag dept if they will do a necropsy and euthanize the bird for you. That way you will know what you're dealing with.

And, too, you do want to be very sure that it IS ILT, that's true. If you have birds die quickly, that's one sign that it probably is ILT. Many chicken respiratory illnesses mimick each other, but not all are fatal. ILT definitely is, and usually kills quickly. It's nasty. I can't remember if we used the vaccine before we really knew what we were dealing with, but we did have a necropsy done and had the disease confirmed at some point.

I don't think the disease can be transmitted from a recently vaccinated bird, but I am not sure, I supposed it could be if it were the live vaccine. Maybe they were never vaccinated at all.

Anyway, regardless of what it is, don't give up til you have to. We were devastated when our flock got it, but it did turn out to be a learning experience, and was rewarding in the end, because we felt we did win that fight. You will too.

Also, in some States, ILT is a mandatory cull. You should probably check. And, as you now know, NEVER mix new birds into the flock without a quarantine period. We bought birds with it at an auction, and they were in a pen in the barn, but we did not have them quarantined far enough away from the flock and that's how we got it. mAt that time we had no idea what it was, either. It is VERY contagious...and many poultry illnesses are.

The vaccine is very easy to administer. It's just an eyedrop. WE did our flock assembly line style...one person did the eyedrop, one person marked the bird to indicate the vaccine, one person spritzed each bird with Oxine. I have to laugh thinking about that memory...we actually made it fun, impossible as that seems. [​IMG]

4. rosiekitty94

rosiekitty94 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2013
    Maryland
    So I talked to the woman who runs the poultry swap and she said it might still have a chance if I give tylan in the water. how much tylan per gallon?

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by