Lascivious Chicken Behaviour

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sommrluv, Jun 21, 2010.

1. sommrluv

sommrluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    How young do roosters start..."feeling their oats"?

I have a chick I thought was a hen, she's about 13 weeks I believe....possibly 14. She's never crowed, and she used to have a hatch mate of the same age that made a rooster squak when you picked him up..she doesn't do this.

All her hatemates were killed, and she bullied the replacement chicks I got to keep her company (she's about 3-4 weeks older, but easily twice their size), so she's been braving it on her own with the older girls. Luckily she's growing fast, but they still chase her a bit.

Today she was mating my RIR. Pulling out neck feathers, the whole nine yards. For a little bit, too, lol.

I hesitate to say it's hen on hen dominence, because she's definitely the bottom of the pecking order currently. Is it too young for a Rooster to be doing this? Is Princess really a Prince?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

That's right at the stage for adolescent roo behavior. Without pictures, I couldn't guess at the sex.

3. sommrluv

sommrluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    I'll take some today. [​IMG]

I guess I'm not as much asking if she is a he, as much if I'm curious if a chicken that young would do that. That's interesting, though...that it's the time frame.

That won't endear her to any of her bunkmates, lol.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, a rooster of that age can mate if the hen is willing. I have one that has been trying to woo the girls from that age, but they're not having any of it. The man in charge is my other rooster Moose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by