Laser candler?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rebelcowboysnb, Nov 29, 2009.

1. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Anyone use a 5+mw laser to candle? I have a 50mw green laser an candled store eggs with it. Worked good as far as I could tell. Extremely bright! Dont have any in the bator right now.

2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Potentially harmful. Anything over 5mw comes with a warning and is banned in some countries. Staring at a 5mw laser beam for more than 10seconds has been shown to cause damage to the eye. Usually people don't stare directly at them and they blink enough to prevent damage. Eggs don't blink and developing embryos would be far more sensitive to such things.

http://archopht.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/122/8/1210#RREF-ESA30014-2

Maybe the shell would protect from damage but who knows. I'd prefer not to run that experiment on my eggs.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Its actually only banned in the US an only if sold as a pointer/toy. Amazon sells 50mw for under $20 an they also sell 100mw to the US market. Also its only harmful when its in a compact beam. I would not think it was harmful after it was refracted by the egg. As far as the the chick being more sensitive? High wattage candlers may have the same danger? But yes anything over 5 mw has a real danger to it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by