Lash egg

apryl29

Crossing the Road
6 Years
May 8, 2017
NE Ohio
About 2 months ago I had an older hen who laid a lash egg. Took her to the vet & got meds. She's good now & laying normal eggs. Prior to this she always laid eggs with very thin shells that often broke in the nesting box. I assumed she just had a reproductive issue.
I recently had a younger hen lay a lash egg. I just got her meds and started those so she's not yet restarted laying. Previously her eggs all came out rough, with too much calcium.
I have another older hen who's recently been laying odd shapes eggs, but no lash egg. Last fall her eggs were normal size and shape. They are long and the pointed end is wrinkled.
I'm wondering if this hen might also have an infection that's causing unusual shaped eggs. Has anyone else seen this before?
Her egg:
16011400576282081171705789994884.jpg

Stress, Defective shell gland, and Sudden changes in day length can cause weird shaped eggs and also virus could cause it.
I had a sex link that was over 2 years old start laying eggs like that after laying a few soft shelled eggs so I assumed because of her age it was defective egg gland. The sex links tend to start breaking down after 2 or 3 laying seasons. None of the other chickens were ever effected so I assume if it was something contagious they all would have had some sort of symptom.

Thanks! It just started this spring when she resumed laying after the winter break & she just turned 3. She's an aussie so I figured she was just slowing down and almost done laying. She only lays maybe 2 or 3 eggs a month now & her eggs were just getting more pointed. After the other 2 who've always laid weird eggs appeared to have had an infection, I wonder if that might be her problem too. Not that I particularly enjoy giving chickens meds.
Did your hen just eventually stop laying?

Back
Top Bottom