Lash egg?

Csj5

Chirping
May 13, 2021
My chicken laid this blob last week. She had not laid a normal egg in 3 weeks, two without shells and then this. I noticed that she was sitting in the nesting box more often than usual and would sit off in the yard by herself. She also had abnormal poo and diarrhea run marks below her vent. I gave her a dose of duramycin 72-200 (.2 mg) and she perked up, acted like her old self and laid a normal egg 2 days later. She hasn’t laid any more eggs in the last 5 days and feels hot to the touch, much warmer than my other chickens. She looks a little bottom heavy and is lethargic. Should I dose her again?

Attachments

• E869A953-574B-4C1B-874E-53854B359990.jpeg
    E869A953-574B-4C1B-874E-53854B359990.jpeg
    330.5 KB · Views: 15
It's possible that's lash material, but sort of looks similar to what is found in eggs sometimes called "meat spots" but larger if that makes sense.

Being bottom heavy and lethargic I would certainly suspect some type of reproductive disorder. Does her bottom feel like it has fluid or is it just bloated?

It's been a few days since that first dose of Oxytetracycline, so IIRC you can give another.

It's possible that's lash material, but sort of looks similar to what is found in eggs sometimes called "meat spots" but larger if that makes sense.

Being bottom heavy and lethargic I would certainly suspect some type of reproductive disorder. Does her bottom feel like it has fluid or is it just bloated?

It's been a few days since that first dose of Oxytetracycline, so IIRC you can give another.

My chicken laid this blob last week. She had not laid a normal egg in 3 weeks, two without shells and then this. I noticed that she was sitting in the nesting box more often than usual and would sit off in the yard by herself. She also had abnormal poo and diarrhea run marks below her vent. I gave her a dose of duramycin 72-200 (.2 mg) and she perked up, acted like her old self and laid a normal egg 2 days later. She hasn’t laid any more eggs in the last 5 days and feels hot to the touch, much warmer than my other chickens. She looks a little bottom heavy and is lethargic. Should I dose her again?
Next morning post. Both of these eggs were under her perch this morning, this has happened before but I thought they were laid by 2 different chickens, today I am sure that both these eggs came out of my chicken that laid the lash egg or meat egg last week. I gave her another shot of antibiotics last night. Do you think this is an ovaduct defect or simply an infection? Nothing simple about it, she is my favorite chicken and is only 6 months old.

Attachments

• B78CB42E-2C51-4998-A689-E28993978FEC.jpeg
    B78CB42E-2C51-4998-A689-E28993978FEC.jpeg
    592.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 9E88CD70-7BE2-44C3-9334-2DBF16EF6545.jpeg
    9E88CD70-7BE2-44C3-9334-2DBF16EF6545.jpeg
    381.9 KB · Views: 6
With her being only 6 months old she may be working through some glitches.

What do you feed, including treats?
Do you supply oyster shell free choice?

I think I would still finish the other dose of antibiotic since you started it, but also give her 1 Caltrate (with D3) for 3-5 days to see if that helps firm up the shell.

Hopefully she will get past this.

Back
Top Bottom